Adv. S.W. Deshpande
Former Joint Commissioner
Food and Drug Administration, Maharashtra State
- Pharmalex is a proprietary concern of S.W. Deshpande set-up by him after retirement from FDA, Maharashtra as the Joint Commissioner. He holds a degree in Pharmacy and Law and has extensive experience in drug regulations acquired during 33 years of outstanding service in FDA, Maharashtra.
- PHARMALEX offers complete legal solutions in drug legislations and assists pharmaceutical manufacturers, distributors and retailers in compliance of requirements under the drug laws in India. Pharmalex also provides legal assistance in responding to issues raised by Drugs Control Organizations and in drafting of appeals, classification of products, interpretation of various provisions, opinion on specific issues etc. Pharmalex is providing legal advice to all major Pharmaceutical Industry Associations and many leading pharmaceutical companies. The clients include multinational companies, medium scale and small scale industries. The list of major clients to whom legal advice is provided either on retainership basis or on case to case basis is as under:-
- Indian Drugs Manufacturers’ Association
- Ayurvedic Drugs Manufacturer’s Association
- Bulk Drug & Allied Dealers Association
- Sanofi India Limited
- Hindustan Unilever Ltd.
- Abbott India Limited
- Blue Cross Laboratories Limited
- GlaxoSmithKline Consumer Pvt. Ltd.
- GlaxoSmithKline Asia Pvt. Ltd.
- Vicco Laboratories Ltd.
- Meyer Organics Pvt. Ltd.
- Cipla Ltd.
- Group Pharmaceuticals Limited
- Ajanta Pharmaceuticals Limited
- Wockhardt Limited
- RPG Life Sciences Ltd.
- Novartis India Limited
- Proctor & Gamble Home Products Ltd.
- Fulford India Limited
- Pfizer Limited
- US Vitamin Ltd.
- Embio Ltd.
- Johnson & Johnson Limited
- Bini Laboratories Pvt. Ltd.
- M/s. Welex Laboratories Pvt. Ltd.
- M/s. Themis Medicare
- Kalindi Medicare (P) Ltd.,
- Unichem Laboratories
- FDC Ltd.
- IPCA Laboratories Ltd.
- Glenmark Laboratories Ltd.
- Reddy’s Laboratories
- He was elected to the prestigious post of President, Indian Pharmaceutical congress Association and presided over 61st Indian Pharmaceutical congress held at Ahmedabad in December 2009.
- He has an extensive experience in regulatory field and held important positions in FDA Maharashtra such as Assistant Commissioner (law) Assistant Commissioner (Intelligence Branch) Joint Commissioner (Vigilance). His contribution and professional excellence has been recognized by way of awards and recognition:
- Lifetime Achievement Award from All India Drugs Control Officers' Confederation presented during 58th Indian Pharmaceutical Congress in December, 2006.
- “Pharma Excellence Award, 2005” from the Central India Pharmacy Promotion and Research Association, Nagpur
- 23rdC. Chatterjee Memorial Award from the Indian Pharmaceutical Graduates’ Association during inaugural function of 57th Indian Pharmaceutical Congress at Hyderabad.
- He is considered as an authority on drug legislations and has authored three books on drug legislations namely:-
- A booklet “Case Law on Drugs and Cosmetics Act, 1940”
- A commentary on “Drugs and Magic Remedies (Objectionable Advertisements) Act, 1954”
- An exhaustive commentary on “Drugs and Cosmetics Act, 1940, Rules 1945, Medical Devices Rules, 2017, Drugs Prices Control Order, 2013.
- He is a gifted teacher, communicator and a trainer, a fact recognized by national and international organizations by inviting him as faculty for seminars and workshops. He loves teaching and regularly shares his thoughts with the students of pharmacy, the Drugs Control Officers, the Professionals in Industry, Community Pharmacy and Consumer Organization.
- He has played a very vital role in formation of the All India Drugs Control Officers' Confederation and has served AIDCOC as the founder Secretary General from 1995 to 2004, as the President from 2004 to 2006 and Hon. Director General, from 2006.